Lancaster BID has supported an ever-growing events programme since we were established in 2013. This has included a range of flagship events directly managed by Lancaster BID as well as providing funding and marketing support for key events organised by others. The events reliably draw in large crowds to the city and are viewed as a key priority by most of our levy payers. 2020 has clearly been a challenging year for events with almost all public events having to be cancelled to ensure public safety. During this time we have found innovative new alternatives to drive footfall into the city centre until such a time as events can safely return.
We have launched the LoyalFree App which will continue to be used to market all events of any size across the city centre. The App also features trails which encourage self-guided exploration of Lancaster with incentives to visit new businesses. This includes interactive trails with significant prizes to drive footfall into the city centre.
The LoyalFree App will continue to be a key tool to draw people into the city throughout the new BID term and will become even more effective as the number of users grows.
As soon as it is safe to do so and Government guidance allows, the Lancaster BID team will be ready to bring all your favourite events back to the city centre to once again draw crowds to discover what Lancaster has to offer.
Key Lancaster BID events currently scheduled to return in 2021 include:
- Dino Day – a family event where animatronic dinosaurs take over the streets in the city centre.
- Festa Italia – a celebration of all things Italian with the city streets lined with food & drink stalls, Italian Supercars and a packed stage for entertainment into the evening.
- Winter in the City launched by the flagship Lancaster Christmas Lights Switch On – always one of the most popular events of the year to draw shoppers into the city centre and get everyone in the festive mood.
Lancaster BID will also continue to work with partners to bring back many more local favourites including:
- Lancaster Music Festival – a free festival across the city’s bars and public spaces which is always guaranteed to draw in the crowds.
- Lancaster Pride – a packed day to celebrate the diversity which exists in Lancaster city centre.
- Light Up Lancaster – a two-day festival of light culminating in the fantastic city fireworks from the rooftop of Lancaster Castle.
- Lancaster On Ice – event which sees Dalton Square transformed into a winter wonderland with spectacular real ice rink throughout the festive season.
Lancaster BID will work tirelessly to bring back these events and ensure that Lancaster retains the reputation of being a city of events.